Thursday 29 December 2011

The Land of Oz- Christmas Day, Byron Bay and a Boxing Day shoot!

Shooting a gun for the first time!
It's cold in there thinks Amelia!
Relaxing with Amelia on Christmas Day
Christmas Day with the family

I returned to Melinda's north of Brisbane in time for the Christmas build up. After an early morning flight from Cairns, I did my Christmas shopping in a festive (although hot) Brisbane. The hussle and bussle and sound of carols made in seem like Christmas despite the heat and I managed a stop off at my favourite cafe (The Regent) - which reminded me of home with its dark and cool interior - for a pot of Earl Grey and a slice of Christmas cake!
The Christmas build up continued with a family party/ bbq in Brisbane on the day before Christmas Eve and listening to carols and making mulled wine alongside a Christmas eve supper of involtini and poached pears (cooked by yours truly) which added to the festive atmosphere. Amelia and I read lots of Christmas stories, including The Six White Boomers (based on a song by Rolf Harris) which replaces the reindeers with kangaroos! On Christmas Day itself we had an early start with the children (although Amelia had to be woken up!) and spent a lovely morning of unwrapping presents and  eating banana pancakes for breakfast whilst listening to the Christmas midnight mass on Radio 4! Then it was to family friend Paul's house (a beautiful wooden Queensland property with a garden to die for) for drinks and a prawn lunch in the sunshine. We had our Christmas dinner back at Melinda's in the evening (nut roast for me) and I was able (through the wonders of Skype) to watch Oscar opening his presents back in the UK. I have to admit I did miss my family enormously on Christmas Day but Melinda and her family were the best substitutes and it was a very special day.. Boxing Day too proved memorable in that I got to shoot a gun for the first time in a clay pigeon shoot at the house of James' brother and in the afternoon we drove to Charlie Moreland National Park and sat relaxing by the water at Sunday Creek with a picnic and Christmas Day leftovers!

I'm now in Byron Bay (saying goodbye to Melinda, James and the children was very emotional and there were tears on the station platform) and back to being a backpacker (for the first time here in Australia). The journey took me down the Gold Coast to places like Surfers Paradise and Currumbin before arriving at Byron. This town was originally a whaling station but is now a surfing mecca and since the 1960s a meeting place for alternative cultures. Today it caters for all from high end tourism to backpackers and everything in between. It was named by Captain Cook after the poet Byron's grandfather who sailed around the world in the 1760s. Byron Bay has two claims to fame- it is the most easterly point of mainland Australia (see picture) and also houses the most powerful lighthouse in the southern hemisphere. I walked to the lighthouse and the views, as you can see, are spectacular. I spent the afternoon at Watego's beach which is great for dolphin spotting and in the season some 4000 humpbacked whales pass this area. Just walking along the beach and watching the surfers (there are many) you realise what a great spot this is. I even managed a visit to the very cosy local cinema to see War Horse (I'd read the book and seen the play) and was very happy to find it was half price film night. Bargain.

Next stop: Sydney.



Melinda enjoys a cuppa and a piece of Christmas cake in Sunday Creek on Boxing Day

The scene on the Esplanade at sunset in Byron Bay


Speaks for itself
 

Byron Bay lighthouse- the most powerful in the southern hemisphere

Another amazing view...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment