Wednesday 28 September 2011

Blogging from Burma

Ok, it's been a couple of days now since I returned from Yangon to Bangkok after my 11 day trip to Burma, or Myanmar as the Government renamed it. And what an experience it was. I'd read about the country and particularly the political situation (some of which I referred to in my last blog).  At the airport I still wasn't quite sure what I was letting myself in for but was reassured that there were other Westerners on the flight. I flew to Yangon (Rangoon as it was previously known) and after a short flight arrived at the airport to be met by some of the staff from the Motherland Inn. I had prebooked a room there as I knew there was a free airport shuttle which is always a bonus when arriving in a new city, particularly when traveeling alone. The staff were holding up my name (I think thast is a first for me!) and I found myself on an ancient bus owned by the hostel along with a group of fellow travellers. As we drove into the city (about a 40 minute trip) they stopped to show us the Schweddagon Pagoda ( viewed as one of the finest in SE Asia) which looked stunning in the night sky. I was to return the next morning for the sunrise with a couple who I met on the first night. It was a memorable experience seeing this stunning pagoda change as the sky became lighter and witness the early morning activity from the monks praying to people coming and setting up stalls for the day ahead. I was given breakfast of fruit and sticky rice which I ate with a group of monks in front of Buddha's image (feet turned away , of course). We were the only tourists there and it made it a very special moment and well worth the early get up call....

No comments:

Post a Comment