Saturday 10 September 2011

Hanging out with the Aussies

Well, I've been on the island of Koh Tao for a week tomorrow and it's been the perfect start to my trip. I've always loved Thailand and visited a number of places before but never Koh Tao. It's a small island (only 21 square miles) and situated in the Gulf of Thailand just above the bigger and more commercial island of Koh Samui. It's name means 'Turtle Island' and although I haven't seen any turtles whilst snorkelling, I've seen the most amazing array of the most beautiful tropical fish just from the beach at Aow Leuk (on the other side of the island). We are staying on the west side at Sai Rai beach which is the biggest on the island but to get to the other side it's about a 40 minute walk (good exercise as very hilly) or a 30 minute boat ride. I did that with Chloe the other day and we chose a day when it was a bit rough getting around the tip of the island. Managed to stay aboard though!
 Koh Tao is very much a divers island and you can do all range of courses from an introductory dive, a PADI, Open Water as well as more advanced instructors' courses. There is something for everyone here and if you want to chill, enjoy the beaches, get a massage and enjoy the food and nightlife, then you can do just that.
Accommodation is great and cheap- Chloe and I ar paying 500 baht (about 10 pounds) for a simple beach hut virtually on the beach. There is more upmarket accommodation too, I saw amazing beach huts on stilts overlooking the bay on the other side of the island which looked amazing. Maybe next time, I'm on a budget on this trip and keeping it as cheap as possible!
We have had some great days and it has been so nice to spend time with friends and get to know Chloe, someone I know I will keep in touch with. It's her last night tonight (Jim, Chelsea and I leave the following day). We are all heading back to Bangkok before heading north to Chiang Mai and to experience a different side of Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment